A New Way to get Good Christian Music

For the past day or two my family and I have been playing with this new AI audio generator software called Udio (www.Udio.com).  At first I heard a sample of an instrumental piece someone had generated and it sounded very nice, so I decided to sign up and just see what it could do. It also lets you put in your own lyrics to generate music with. What I didn't really see coming was how well it could do voices...they sound real, and I don't mean AI real, I mean REAL.  They sound like actually people singing with their own individual voices (you can even hear them taking breaths).

I have found it has been getting harder to find nice music, not just generally okay music, but music that you REALLY like. Most especially, Christian music.  Well Udio allows you to create it.  And you don't even have to be musically inclined, you just prompt it.  

You type in prompts like "classical", "cinematic", "female voice" etc.. and add any lyrics you want and then click "Create" and it'll come up with two 30 second samples from you to choose from. If you don't like them you can generate more, and more, until you find one you like (changing the prompts to try to push it towards your vison). Once it gives you one you like you then start extending it, foward or backward.  

Ultimately, you aren't composing songs, Udio does that. You're just picking and choosing from it's creations.  It's more like you're directing the creation of a piece of music.

I picture myself as the music creation director, with a composer under me who comes up with all kinds of ideas that I reject or accept. And I'll keep telling him more and more of what my idea is until he gives me something I like. I laugh with my other 'director' family members about it, that the composer and instrumentalists under us are so unruly, they keep bringing in weird instruments and weird tunes and we keep throwing out their work! 

It's very fun and addicting though.  And very impressive work once you get what you want.  The music it's been turning out I actually REALLY like, I get the tunes it comes up with stuck in my head.  

The first piece I 'directed' was a Christmas one. I used Chat GPT to write me some poems based on certain things, and pieced parts of them together and then copied and pasted into Udio to use as lyrics. 




The second piece I 'directed' I based off of one of the poems of Annie Johnson Flint.  



At first I didn't notice, but then I though that parts of it sounded a bit weird, as though it was distorting or something. So I rebuilt it, and I think I like this second version better: 


Finally, I based another one after another of Flint's poems:



All in all, I find this technology pretty amazing, and so useful! If you want to direct your own Christian song or even just make an instrumental piece, you can join Udio here: www.Udio.com  
Right now, since it's in the Beta stage, it's free (you're limited to 600 music generations a month). That may change in the future, but this is something I would find worth paying for.

Right now I'm trying to make another Christmas song and have pulled up some old Christmas poem's of Charles Wesley to build one. 



 






Comments